19 September 2009

Finding Love In Music

I was probably fourteen years old when I decided I wanted to be a rock star. Listening to music was my favorite thing to do because I really didn't have any friends; however, I was at fault for my loneliness. I lived in a different town from where I attended school, and I realized at a very young age how society worked. Your status may change over time because new people move into town to take your place and be cooler than you were. Then, the only reason they are labeled cooler is because they have pretty clothes, better toys, and a big house. I was mostly a loner, and when I wasn't a loner, I was a loser. Music was my best friend. It started out with Simple Plan, Good Charlotte... the pre-teen music about how acceptance was nowhere to be found. After a couple of years of that, I realized I wanted to write music and lyrics (since I already loved writing poetry).




I got an electric guitar for my birthday, and I started taking lessons from a guy my mother knew from work. He introduced me to the classic stuff: Black Sabbath, ACDC, The Scorpions, and so on. I loved learning new riffs and power chords every Sunday at his house. Then, he made the announcement that he was moving out of Texas. WTF!?




I stopped learning because I didn't believe I could teach myself. I told everyone in my family that I was burnt out on electric, but an acoustic would get me back in the ring. So, the Christmas before I moved off to college, my brother bought me a black acoustic with flames running down it. It was
"love at first sight".




After getting to college and settling in a little bit, I met a guy who tried to teach me some things. He taught me a few more chords than the ones I already knew, and we would jam. Afterwards, I would play around with words and chords, trying to mold some sort of song. Finally, I did. Everyone seemed to love it.




I was so proud of myself. I had created something beautiful with feeling that people actually liked. It was a tale of a lonely girl who just wanted someone to call her own. And soon, music would lead her to that special person...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love.